Currently, I am a PhD student at Virginia Tech's Department of Computer Science, where I am advised by Prof. Shaddi Hasan in the SPIN (Systems, People, Infrastructure, and Networks) Lab.
Broadly, I'm interested in the potential for technology to upend inherited, unjust structures of power.
More specifically, my research interests are in designing cellular networking systems that improve connectivity with underserved communities.
Some papers/projects that interest me right now are:
- Cellbricks | How might we restructure the cellular industry to support community cellular?
- Community networks as a model to address connectivity gaps in underserved communities
- Magma | How can software defined networking principles lower cost and complexity?
- Network capacity as a common pool resource
Before VT, I completed a B.S and M.Eng. in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at MIT in 2019 and 2022, respectively.
My thesis research was on developing an end-to-end data collection and management system for a community wireless network in Kibera, an informal settlement in Nairobi, Kenya.
It can be found here.
While at MIT, I worked with Prof. Sarah Williams in the Civic Data Design Lab and Levanthal Center for Advanced Urbanism.
With Prof. Williams, I worked on:
During the spring of 2022, I was a fellow with MIT's PKG Public Service Center, researching data equity frameworks for the City of Cambridge's open data.
- Living Data Hubs | Leveraging community networks to address the critical data gap in informal communities
- Living Heritage Atlas | Documenting the social heritage of Beirut's craftsmanship
- PREACT | Designing a community-centered climate resilience tool for residents of Philadelphia
During the fall of 2020, I worked with the Stanford/Packard Global Child Health Program, researching funding for neonatal child health in L3 crisis countries.
Some of my other work experiences include assistant coaching MIT's Varsity Men's Soccer team and interning at Audible, Amazon, and ASML.
Outside of research, I love exploring new ideas and experiences through books, film, food, travel, and meeting new people.
I also love playing and watching soccer!